HVAC Maintenance Technician
The Job Holder
Urban League of Greater Atlanta
The Heating, Ventilation, and Air-Conditioning Mechanic installs, services and repairs environmental control systems in residences, department stores, office buildings, and other commercial establishments, utilizing knowledge of refrigeration theory, pipefitting and structural layout, mounts compressor and condenser units on platform or floor, using hand tools, following blueprints or engineering specifications, fabricates, assembles and installs ductwork and chassis parts, using portable metalworking tools and welding equipment, and installs evaporator unit in chassis or in air-duct system, using hand tools.
This is a Full-time regular position
- This mechanic also cuts and bends tubing to correct length and shape, using cutting and bending equipment and tools, cuts and threads pipe, using machine-threading or hand-threading equipment
- Joins tubing or pipes to various refrigerating units by means of sleeves, couplings or union solder joints, using a torch, forming a complete circuit for refrigerant, installs expansion and discharge valves in circuit.
- This worker connects motors, compressors, temperature controls, humidity controls, and circulating ventilation fans to control panels and connects control panels to a power source; installs air and water filters in completed installation, injects a small amount of refrigerant into compressor to test systems and adds Freon gas to build up prescribed operating pressure.
- This mechanic observes pressure and vacuum gauge and adjusts controls to ensure proper operation, tests joints and connections for gas leaks, using gauges or soap-and-water solution, wraps pipes in insulation batting and secures them in place with cement or wire bands replaces defective breaker controls, thermostats, switches, fuses, and electrical wiring to repair installed units, may install, repair and service air conditioners, ranging from fifteen to twenty tons cooling capacity in warehouses and small factory buildings.
- Modifies and repair refrigeration-hermetic, semi-hermetic, mechanical, screw, scroll and centrifugal units to 1100 tons; air conditioning, ventilation, reverse osmosis systems computer rooms; process coolers; ice machines; evaporative cooling air compressing and related control systems, including pneumatic, DDC, and building control systems equipment.
- This person performs difficult installation tasks involving assembly, testing, calibrating, and adjusting of temperature control and environmental control systems such as air conditioning plants, air environmental control systems, air distribution systems, and complex dual equipment cooling installations, specialized refrigerated warehouses and facilities, and evaporative mechanical ventilation, and dehumidification systems.
- Installs the new or repaired components and performs complex modifications of systems and components in accordance with applicable electrical publications and directives, and will maintain and repair specialized laboratory equipment such as fume hoods, de-ionized water systems bio-clean system, vacuum systems, cascade refrigeration systems, and laboratory sinks.
- This mechanic may perform complex repair of systems component such as compressors, condensers, heat pumps regulators, fluid and refrigerant gas lines valves, meter gages thermostats pump, mechanical linkage, and electrical sensing, switching and controlling devices including pneumatics controls, variable speed drives, digital controlled devices, electronic, hydraulic heating and cooling and economizer systems.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, use, repair, and maintenance.
- Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Ability to communicate both orally and writing with internal and external clients and co-workers.
- Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Must be a steady, reliable worker.
- Able to read simple instructions and follow simple diagrams.
- Able to perform simple tasks independently after being given specific instructions
- Specialized knowledge of simple equipment used in the HVAC trades.
- Knowledge of acceptable HVAC maintenance services including occupational safety and health regulations
- Must be able to determine the kind of tools and equipment needed to complete each task assignment.
- Work Environment
- This job operates in the interior and exterior of commercial and residential buildings. This role routinely moves between multiple facilities and uses varied skills, tools and equipment.
This is largely a mobile role and requires the ability to lift up to 50 lbs, bend or stand as necessary and operate various tools and equipment and vehicles.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, we comply with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
We expressly prohibit any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of our employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Direct reports are TBD
Job Type: Full-time
- HVAC Maintenance Technician: 4 years (Required)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Drivers (Required)
- United States (Required)
Copyright © 2021, The JobHolders | Designed & Developed by The JobHolders